Owner Amy Donohue brings more than 30 Years of dog care experience to Bark Park, raising, teaching and managing animals, and studying Animal Behavior.
- Since 1980 Amy has worked in various dog kennel positions from veterinary offices, to boarding kennels, to show/breeding kennels, to becoming a veterinary technician. After seeing many dogs over the years becoming stressed, some to the point of physical illness, from being in cages while being boarded, she decided to have a CAGE-FREE facility. It has proven to be much less stressful for the dogs because they spend the majority of their time in the company of each other and people, in an environment almost the same as their own home. Personally, Amy gets great joy in watching the dogs interact with each other and the staff at Bark Park, as it is obvious they are happy, by the way they play, never miss a meal and sleep soundly since they have been so busy all day. In fact many return guests have said that their dogs get excited when they hear they are going to Bark Park!
- Since 1983 Amy has trained three Labrador Retrievers, three Jack Russell Terriers, a Border Collie, an American Water Spaniel, and an American Cocker Spaniel to titles in show confirmation, obedience, agility and field trial work. Her training philosophy focuses on positive reinforcement, which is simply, rewarding the dogs for behaviors you want and not rewarding the behaviors you don't want. Dogs learn by association and it has been scientifically proven that positive reinforcement is the MOST effective way to communicate with your dog so that they understand what you want from them, they want to comply and will best retain what they learn. Not to mention that it builds a trusting relationship between you and your dog because it causes NO Pain, there is NO Force involved and best of ALL it's FUN for both you and your dog!
- Using lots of love, patience and positive reinforcement methods, Amy has rescued, rehabilitated and found new homes for over 100 dogs, mostly from high-kill shelters. Amy continues to foster and rehabilitate high-risk dogs as part of Bark Park's services. You can meet her current foster dogs and Donate on our Rescue page. We appreciate any donations of supplies, volunteer time and of course $$ to help the dogs while they are here and to get them exposure to ultimately find that perfect home.
- Amy has an incredible love of dogs and learning and continues to pursue her dog related education through trade journals, books, online courses, industry affiliations and professional seminars.
- Her commitment and dedication to the overall well-being of dogs and her exemplary customer service, make
Bark Park the best choice to bring your best friend for a fun-filled, dog-focused day or overnite and for all of your
training and behavior management goals.
- Amy holds a Bachelor of Science Degree, in Business Administration from the University of Louisville
- She has 8 years of experience as a Sales Support Manager in the Animal Health/Veterinary Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Amy is a Member of